Coming into spring we are looking forward to sharing with you some of our favourite salad recipes, and seeing as the weather is still a little cool, we thought to kick things off with a warm salad (can be served cold) featuring green lentils, roasted pumpkin, walnuts and pepitas – we do love our pepitas here.
This salad will also be featuring in the summer edition of Australia’s popular Home Grown Magazine highlighting just one of the ways you can incorporate pumpkin into a wholefoods diet.
We hope you enjoy this one as much as we did making and eating it.
Serving size: 4 persons
- 5-6 cups mixed lettuce leaves (loosely packed)
- 1 cup cooked French Puy lentils (see instructions for cooking below)
- 2 1/2 cups Baked Pumpkin (we like to use either Butternut or Jap varieties for this salad)
- 1/2 large avocado sliced
- 1/2 cup walnuts
- 1 Tablespoon pepitas
- 1 Tablespoon sunflower seeds
- 1/4 red onion sliced
- For 1 cup of cooked puy lentils, rinse 1/2 cup dried puy lentils and then put into a medium saucepan with 1 1/4 cups of water. Bring to the boil then simmer for 25 minutes until the water is absorbed and the lentils are tender.
- Toss the pumpkin in a very small amount of olive oil (just to coat – do not overdo it) and roast in a baking dish at 170’C for 20-25 minutes or until golden and cooked through.
- Whilst your lentils and pumpkin are cooking, prepare all your other ingredients and your dressing (see below).
- When the lentils and pumpkin have cooled slightly, toss all ingredients together in a bowl and serve whilst still warm with your freshly made salad dressing. Enjoy.
For ‘Our Favourite Salad Dressing’
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 clove crushed garlic
- Black pepper to taste
NOTE: Put all ingredients into a medium size jar and shake well (lasts in the fridge up to 3 days – shake before using).