This weeks recipe is courtesy of Kerrie Cox from @healthylivinginspirations. Kerrie specialises as a qualified Raw Vegan Chef with a passion for supporting people who are wanting to learn more about eating a diet rich in raw foods. She offers Raw Food Workshops in the hinterland area of Northern NSW.
“One of our family’s favourite recipe is this magnesium boost raw chocolate slice. Full of wholefoods and magnesium potent ingredients” – Kerrie
Preparation time: 25 minutes
Serving Size: makes 30 slices
- 1 cup brazil nuts
- 1 cup natural almonds
- 8 medjool dates
- 1/4 cup water (only use enough to bind the ingredients together)
- 2 large avocados
- 1 cup chopped spinach (centre stem removed)
- 3/4 cup organic cacao powder
- 1/2 cup pure maple syrup
- 1/2 teaspoon tamari (salt reduced soy sauce)
- 1 teaspoon organic vanilla essence (or extract)
- 1/3 cup coconut oil
- 2 tablespoons lecithin
- Place all ingredients except the water into a food processor.
- Pulse on high a few times to break the nuts down and combine the dates.
- Add a little water while the blender is running so that the mixture sticks.
- Once mixture is well combined, smooth into a lined rectangle baking tin (or large round tin) and press using the back of a spoon to smooth out.
- Place in the freezer whilst making the filling.
- Place the avocados, spinach, cocoa powder, maple syrup, vanilla extract and tamari in a high speed blender and blend until smooth.
- Add the lecithin and coconut oil and blend on high until well combined and creamy.
- Take the base out of the freezer and pour the filling onto the base. Place back in the freezer whilst moving onto the topping.
- Place all ingredients into a food processor and pulse until the nuts are broken down to a crumble. Do not over process.
- Take the slice (so far) out of the freezer and put a generous amount of crumble on the top pressing into the filling which will still be quite soft (this helps it to stay in place).
- Place back into the freezer to set.
- Remove from the freezer once set and slice into bars.
- Store in the freezer until you are ready to eat, taking out 5 minutes prior to serving. Enjoy!
The number of slices you end up with will depend on how big or small you want your slices.