This week we are teaming up with Sonya Douglas, Perth’s ‘Mediterranean Dietitian’ and founder of the Dietwise Nutrition Clinics. Sonya is passionate about the Mediterranean diet and sees its benefits on a daily basis with her patients. She runs a busy clinic in Wembley, WA and loves to share and inspire with tasty and nutritious recipes.
It was a pleasure to work with you Sonya.
‘Journey back in time with this ancient Ethiopian grain, high in protein, fibre and resistant starch to create an alluring twist on a beloved breakfast classic. The mild, nutty flavour paired with fresh seasonal berries and ricotta cream make this breakfast delight a perfect treat for the summer holidays’ – Sonya.
Serves: 4 (makes 6 – 8 pancakes)
Preparation time: 5 minutes excluding cooking
- 1 cup teff flour
- 2 eggs
- 1 large ripe banana, sliced
- 1¼ cups almond milk
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla paste (or vanilla powder)
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup, rice malt syrup or agave
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 tablespoon chia seeds, LSA mix or psyllium husks
- 1 scoop (30g) whey protein isolate powder (optional)
- 1 large banana
- 250g ricotta cheese
- Combine all ingredients in a food processor and blend until a smooth batter forms. Let stand for 10 minutes to thicken slightly.
- Pour mixture into a non-stick pan lightly coated with Australian extra virgin olive oil.
- Flip once bubbles appear on the edges. Repeat with remaining mixture
- Top with fresh seasonal berries, ricotta cream, a drizzle of maple syrup and your favourite roasted nut and seed combo e.g. hazelnuts, almonds, pecans, pepitas