To celebrate this weeks 100th episode of our Newsletter we are sharing an old family favourite. A rich chocolate cake, no holds barred. This one comes with all the trimmings and tastes divine. Enjoy!
- 1/4 cup organic alkalised cocoa powder (Dutch Cocoa)
- 1 cup water
- 150g unsalted organic butter
- 1 1/2 cups organic raw sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon bicarb soda
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon organic vanilla essence
- 1 1/2 cups organic white unbleached self raising flour
- Blend the cocoa with a little of the water to make a smooth paste.
- Place the paste into a saucepan with the butter, sugar, bicarb and remaining water.
- Stir on medium heat until the butter melts, bring to the boil and than remove from heat and leave aside to cool.
- Once the mixture is cold, add the eggs and vanilla essence and beat together.
- Add the flour (sifted) and mix well.
- Add to a tine lined with grease proof baking paper and bake in the oven for 50 minutes at 180’C.
- Leave in the pan for 5 minutes before removing to cool completely before icing.
- Once cool, ice the cake (see recipe below) and it is ready to serve.
Rich Dark Chocolate Icing
- 90g dark cooking chocolate
- 30g butter
- 3/4 cup icing sugar
- 1-2 tablespoons of water
- Melt the chocolate and butter in a saucepan on low to medium heat, then add your icing sugar and mix well.
- Add the water and stir quickly with a fork until shiny.
- Leave to cool and than top onto the cake.
Read more at: https://www.affordablewholefoods.com.au/blog-recipes/