Recently joining our team of fantastic food bloggers is the charming Evanna Kate. Evanna has worked with food in the hospitality industry for the past 9 years, spending some of that time training as a chef. She now works for Affordable Wholefoods as well as taking up the role of baker and barista part-time in the popular local ‘Clunes Cafe’.
After recently starting her own food blog combining her unique passion for food and style, here is one of Evanna’s signature recipes for winter.
- 4 tablespoons coconut oil
- 5 x cinnamon sticks
- A handful of cardamom pods slightly crushed (approx. 20)
- 2 teaspoons of spice mix (a blend of cinnamon, star anise, cardamon, ginger, nutmeg and cloves)
- 3 tablespoons ground turmeric
- 1 small knob of ginger and turmeric freshly sliced or grated
- 2 teaspoons of black pepper
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 litre of almond milk
- 2 thick strips of orange rind
- 1 vanilla bean
- Melt the coconut oil on medium heat in a deep saucepan.
- Add the cinnamon quills, cardamom pods, mixed spice, ground and fresh turmeric and ginger and toast until the aroma of the spices is released and they are beautifully golden.
- Add the split vanilla bean and seeds, honey, orange rind and almond milk.
- Cook on low heat for 15 minutes.
- Allow to cool and leave to infuse in the fridge overnight.
- As the coconut oil will set, remember to mix well with a whisk when re-heating.
- Strain to serve and add a little turmeric and black pepper on top.
Know more at: Affordable Wholefoods