Our first recipe from local Sports & Exercise Student Meg Phillips. Meg has a passion for healthy plant based food and has shared with us her take on a Raw Caramel Slice made with a combination of dates, nuts, coconut oil and maple syrup. This recipe has been a hit on Meg’s Instagram page. You can see more of what Meg makes here @_megphil
We look forward to sharing more of her creations.
For the base:
- 2 cups of raw almonds
- 1/2 cup of raw cashews
- 1/2 cup of dates (soaked in hot water for 10 min)
- Pinch of pink Himalayan salt
- 2 tbsp melted coconut oil
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- Process the almonds and cashews to a fine powder in a high speed blender or food processor.
- Add the remaining ingredients and process until it becomes a dough that sticks together well.
- Press this mixture into a tin lined with baking paper (tin will need to be fairly deep approx. 6cm deep).
For the caramel layer:
- 15-20 Medjool dates (seeds removed and soaked in hot water for 10 min, if your dates are quite large you may only need the smaller amount)
- 1 cup of tahini
- Pinch of Himalayan salt
- 1/4 cup coconut oil, melted
- 1/4 cup of maple syrup
- Process all ingredients in a blender or high speed food processor till smooth.
- Pour this mixture over the base and set in the freezer while you melt the chocolate.
For the chocolate topping
100g Loving Earth Mylk chocolate
- Melt the chocolate and pour over the caramel and set in the freezer for a few hours.
- Serve cold and enjoy.
Read more at: Affordable Wholefoods