Tammy from our Lismore store has been bringing in her home activated nut & seed mix since she started working with us last year and they have been the topic of many a back room conversation. She is quite the master when it comes to activating and was the inspiration behind this recipe and the blog we just published titled ‘Why Activate Nuts & Seeds?’
So here is Tammy’s recipe and tips for the most delicious ever home activated nut & seed mix.
- 2 cups organic almonds
- 2 cups of hazelnuts
- 1 cup pepitas
- Alkalised water (fluoride free if possible)
- 1 1/4 tablespoons of Himalayan OR Celtic salt
- Soak your almonds, hazelnuts and pepitas in 3 separate bowls with enough water to cover them by a centimetre or 2.
- Add 1/2 tablespoon of salt to the almonds and hazelnuts, and 1/4 tablespoon of salt to the pepitas.
- Cover and allow to soak for 12 hours (or overnight).
- Drain the liquid and place the nuts and seeds on seperate baking trays with baking paper (or alternatively a silicone mat).
- Dehydrate in the oven set on 50’C for 12-15 hours (below 65’C for gas oven on the pilot light)
- A crunchy texture means they are done.
- Store in a glass jar in the fridge or freezer to preserve nutrients for months.
*Pepitas usually take just 10-12 hours – check by tasting.
You can activate almost any nut or seed of your choice so don’t be afraid to experiment with your favourites.
Read more at: Affordable Wholefoods