We adapted this bread recipe from an old Delicious magazine and it truly is delicious. It takes a little time and care but is so worth it.
Great served warm with butter, or toasted with avocado slices for a wholesome breakfast…..or highly recommended with our homemade spicy baked beans recipe.
600g Jap pumpkin (chopped into 2cm pieces)
1 tablespoon fennel seeds
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
2 teaspoons dried instant yeast
5 1/3 cups organic unbleached white spelt flour
1 1/4 cups fine semolina
1 teaspoon of Pink Himalayan Salt
- Preheat the oven to 180’C. Line a baking dish with baking paper.
- Toss the pumpkin pieces, fennel seeds and olive oil in a bowl and then spread out evenly in the baking dish.
- Add 1/2 cup water, cover with foil and bake for 40 minutes.
- Remove the foil and bake for a further 15 minutes at 220’c until caramelised.
- Remove from heat and mash with a fork. Set aside to cool.
- Once cooled, transfer into a large bowl and combine well with yeast, spelt flour, 1 cup of semolina, 1 cup of water and 1 teaspoon of salt.
- Cover with plastic wrap and chill overnight.
- Preheat a 3 litre capacity cast iron or enamel casserole dish with lid in a 220’c oven for 30 minutes
- Turn out the dough onto a work surface dusted with 1/2 the remaining semolina.
- Form the dough into a ball than carefully place into a preheated saucepan.
- Sprinkle with remaining semolina and score the to with a sharp knife.
- Bake with the lid on for 1 hour, than take the lid off and reduce heat to 200’C. Bake for a further 15 minutes or until golden on top.
- Cool for 15-20 minutes in the dish before removing. Enjoy.
Read more at: Affordable Wholefoods Blog