These spicy marinated beets are a delicious side dish to enjoy throughout spring and summer. Serve them alongside fresh leafy greens and your favourite protein. The recipe can be adjusted by using a different combination of spices depending on your personal choice. Big thanks to Kym our manager for contributing this one. Enjoy.
Serving Size: Makes around 5 cups
- 6 medium sized beets (washed well)
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 2 teaspoons yellow mustard seeds
- 1 teaspoon fennel seeds
- 1 teaspoon caraway seeds
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 2 dried bay leaves
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar (available in store)
- Celtic Sea Salt to taste
- Heat your oven to 220’C.
- Place the beets in a shallow baking dish with water that covers half the height of the beets.
- Cover with foil and seal well, then bake until you can easily poke a skewer through the flesh (about 65-75 mins).
- Set the beets aside and allow to cool.
- Using gloves and paper towel, rub the beetroot skins to remove and then discard.
- Lightly crush the beets with the flat side of a chefs knife, then tear into bite size pieces and place in a large bowl or container.
- Heat the olive oil, spices and bay leaves in a small skillet or fry pan over medium heat stirring often. Remove from heat once the fragrance has been released and oil is sizzling (about 3 minutes).
- Pour the oil and spices over the beets, then add the vinegar and toss to mix well. Season with salt and allow to cool. You are ready to serve.
Read more at Affordable Wholefoods Blog