A simple and tasty Mexican style dish that is perfect in soft taco’s or tortilla’s or accompanied with rice. Its warm, spicy and soft on the palate.
Serving Size: 6
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 3 large sweet potatoes, diced (about 1kg in total)
- 1 large red onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves
- 2 tablespoons chilli powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 cups black turtle beans (soaked overnight and rinsed)
- 4 large tomatoes, diced
- 4 cups of vegetable stock
- Avocados to garnish
- Warm up the olive oil in a large saucepan over medium heat.
- Add the sweet potato and onion and stir occasionally until the onion is translucent and the sweet potato is slightly soft. (about 7-8 minutes).
- Add the garlic and cook for a further 30 seconds to a minute.
- Stir in the spices, followed by the black turtle beans, tomatoes and stock.
- Bring to the simmer then reduce the heat to medium-low. Cover your pot, stirring occasionally for the next 45 minutes.
- Remove the lid and continue cooking until the beans are soft (around 1 minute).
- Serve with avocado and rice.
Read more at Affordable Whole Foods Blog