Our Mild Spiced Dahl is a classic vegetarian dish suitable for all ages, and in Indian culture is commonly known as ‘kitchari’. Using moong dahl, brown rice, fresh coriander and spices, it is a warming and wholesome dish perfect for winter, and great to make in large quantities to store in the freezer for an easy dinner.
Enjoy on its own, or as a side with vegetables, salad or meat.
Serving Size: 4
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2cm piece fresh ginger (grated)
- 2 cups uncooked organic brown rice (washed)
- 1 cup moong dahl (washed)
- 8 cups of water
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1 bunch fresh coriander (loosely chopped)
- Salt & Black Pepper to garnish
- Mix the dried spices together in a bowl.
- In a large non stick saucepan heat the olive oil and add the spices. (Make sure the saucepan is large enough for all ingredients)
- Stir for 1 minute until the seeds pop and the spices become fragrant.
- Add the grated ginger, moong dahl and rice and stir into the spices.
- Add the water and a pinch of salt and stir well. Bring to a simmer and cover for 10 minutes.
- Remove the lid and check there is still enough liquid in the mix (add another cup if needed). Stir well and put the lid back on for another 10 minutes.
- Check again and continue cooking until the rice and dahl are both tender and the consistency of the mix is thick.
- Once cooked, garnish with a sqeeze of lemon juice, black pepper and fresh coriander.
If at any stage in the cooking process the kitchari looks as though it needs more water, add small amounts as you feel. Don’t over water though or you will have a runny mixture.
Read more at: Affordable Wholefoods Blog