As we start to settle into the autumn months, here is a seasonal recipe using our delicious masa lista flour to make your own authentic Mexican tortillas. The combination of macadamias, chilli and chicken is super tasty, with fresh greens and homemade salsa. This is a definite must try.
For the rub:
- 600g chicken breast (sliced into strips)
- 1 tablespoon smoked paprika
- 1-2 teaspoons chilli flakes
- 1/2 cup raw macadamia nuts
- 2 tablespoons macadamia oil
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2-4 cloves garlic, crushed
- Salt to taste
For the Warm salsa:
- 1 table olive oil
- 1 small red onion, finely sliced
- 1 small red capsicum, finely sliced
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 punnet baby tomatoes, halved
- salt and pepper to taste
For the main meal:
- 8 medium tortillas, heated
- 2 avocados, sliced
- 1 bunch of coriander sprigs
- 2 cups chopped baby cos lettuce
- 4 half lime wedges
- For the rub place all the ingredient in a food processor and blend until you have a smooth paste. Pop the chicken strips into a bowl and mix together with the marinade and allow to settle for at least one hour (we did overnight).
- Pre heat a BBQ plate on high heat and cook the chicken, turning for 10-15 minutes. (You can cook in a non stick frypan on high heat as an alternative). Once cooked set aside and allow to cool, cutting into finer pieces ready for serving.
- For the salsa, heat your oil on high and then add the red onion and capsicum and cook for 2-3 minutes until soft (careful not to burn). When the mixture is starting to caramelise, add the cumin and cherry tomatoes and cook on low heat for a further 10-15 minutes, stirring occasionally until the tomatoes are soft. Season to your taste.
- To serve, place the warm tortilla (we made our own using our masa lista recipe here) onto a plate and top with the BBQ’ed chicken, warm salsa, avocado, cos lettuce and coriander. Enjoy.
Replace the chicken with beans or tofu for a vegetarian option.
Read more at: Affordable Wholefoods Blog