We are all big fans of chilli in store and love talking homemade harissa recipes. This Roasted Red Pepper Harissa recipe is a favourite of ours using red peppers from a jar (you can find these in most supermarkets or Italian grocers) though you can also roast your own if you prefer. The flavours of this sauce are absolutely divine and it’s fun to make as well.
- 4 cloves of garlic
- 1/2 cup virgin olive oil
- 6 roasted peppers from a jar (with seeds removed)
- 1/2 teaspoon coriander seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon caraway seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1/4 teaspoon black peppercorns
- 1 fresh red chilli halved with seeds removed
- 1 tablespoon of red wine vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon organic raw sugar
- Sprinkle of Himalayan salt (to season)
- Special Equipment: Mortar & Pestle
- Saute the garlic and olive oil in a small saucepan over very low heat for 15 minutes until tender. Allow to cool.
- In a small non stick pan over medium heat toast the caraway, coriander and cumin seeds along with the peppercorns, tossing often until fragrant. Allow to cool and then grind into a powder in a mortar and pestle.
- Blend the spices, garlic and oil, roasted peppers, chilli, vinegar and sugar in a blender until smooth and season with salt.
- You are ready to serve.
Harissa can be made one day ahead. Store in the refrigerator.
Read more about healthy recipe on Affordable Wholefoods Blog