Over the Christmas break our Manager Kym revisited one of her favourite recipes from an old Woman’s Weekly Cookbook; Vegetarian Croquettes. Kym modified the recipe making it gluten free using our gluten free crispy crumb mix and some seasonal herbs from the garden. This is a great recipe if your looking for something simple, fresh & light to cook this summer.
- 2 large carrots grated
- 1 large zucchini grated
- 4 green shallots diced
- 2 tablespoons of chopped fresh mint
- 1/3 cup hazelnut meal
- 2 tablespoons brown rice flour
- 1 tablespoon potato starch
- 30g melted butter
- 1/3 cup brown rice flour (extra for coating)
- 2 eggs lightly beaten
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 cup gluten free crispy breadcrumbs
- 1/3 cup sesame seeds
- Olive oil for shallow frying
- Place the carrot, zucchini, shallots, coriander, hazelnut meal, flour, potato starch and butter in a large bowl and mix thoroughly.
- Divide the mix up into 10 small to medium size portions and shape into croquettes.
- Combine the eggs with water in one bowl and the crispy crumbs with sesame seeds in a second bowl.
- Toss the croquettes in the extra flour, shake off the excess and then dip first in the egg mix followed by the crumbing mix.
- Place the uncooked croquettes onto a tray and refrigerate for an hour.
- Shallow fry in hot oil until golden brown all over. Serve hot with a fresh green salad or vegetables.
Make your own homemade aioli or chilli dipping sauce.
Read more about healthy foods recipes on Affordable Wholefoods Blog