This weeks recipe of the week is from local food blogger to the Byron Bay shire Meg Phillips. Meg used our popular Organic Rice & Quinoa Penne to make this recipe. It uses only vegan ingredients, is high in protein…and super delicious.
- 3 cups organic rice & quinoa penne pasta
- 1 cup dried whole red lentils (soaked for 4 hours and drained)
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 brown onion, sliced
- 1 clove of garlic, minced
- 8 mushrooms, sliced
- 1 zucchini, sliced into small pieces
- 1 jar of tomato passata
- Handful of chopped basil
- 1/3 cup of organic pine nuts
- Bring a large pot of water to the boil. Once boiling, add the pasta and cook whilst you are making the sauce (about 12 minutes).
- In a saucepan, sauté the onion and garlic until translucent and fragrant.
- Add in the mushrooms and stir.
- Once the mushrooms are cooked, add the zucchini and cook for a few minutes more.
- Add the passata and lentils, turn the heat up and put the saucepan lid on to cook until the lentils are soft.
- Meanwhile, place the pine nuts on a tray and roast in a pre-heated oven for about 10 minutes at 180′.
- Once the lentils are soft, add the basis and stir through.
- Drain the pasta and serve with the tomato lentil sauce, then top with roasted pine nuts.
- Garnish with avocado and savoury yeast flakes (optional).
Read more about healthy food blog on Affordable Wholefoods Blog