When you ask Nutritionist & Naturopath Casey-Lee Lyons for a popcorn recipe or two, oh boy does she deliver. Here is a fun popcorn snack with homemade sticky caramel for all the sweet tooth’s out there.
How to make stove top popcorn (makes approx 8 cups)
- 3 tbsp coconut oil
- 1/3 cup organic popcorn kernels
- Heat oil in a thick bottomed saucepan (with lid).
- Melt coconut oil. Put 3-4 kernels into the oil, when kernels pop the temperature is right. Add the rest of your popcorn (across one even layer).
- Cover (with a lid slightly ajar for drier and crispier popcorn) and remove from heat for 30 seconds (this helps to even the temperature so that they pop at the same time).
- Return to heat. Once popping slows remove from heat.
- Allow to cool.
Sticky Caramel Popcorn
- Serving Size: makes 3 cups
- Cook time: 10 minutes
- 2 tbsp pure maple syrup
- 1 tbsp hulled tahini
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 3 cups popped popcorn
- Set aside popcorn in a heat proof mixing bowl.
- In a small saucepan combine maple syrup, tahini and coconut oil. Mix well.
- Over medium heat allow the syrup to come to a boil and leave to bubble away for a full minute.
- Remove from heat and pour over popped popcorn.
- Mix to combine caramel with popcorn.
- Allow to cool in fridge. Store in an air-tight glass container in your fridge for freshness.