At this time of year it is always great to have some homemade broth in the freezer for a quick and light meal or to add as a base for a more nourishing soup. This recipe has been shared with us by our newest recipe contributor, Naturopathy student Nat Russell. Nat is a passionate foodie who shares simple and inspiring recipes on her own blog, Glow with Nat Russell. We look forward to testing this one out..
If you love warm hearty soups then you’ll love this one. Made using our premium soup mix with a combination of vegetables and Italian herbs & spices. It takes little time to cook and is super tasty. Perfect for warming the belly on a cold night.
So it’s time for another belly warmer and this week we’re feeling Moroccan inspired with a delicious carrot soup. Using the traditional flavours of cumin, coriander, lemon and mint, this is a beautifully warming soup to share with family and friends during winter. Enjoy preparing and eating it as we did.
After a recent conversation in the back office with our IT specialist Dean, we were inspired to try out one of his favourite soups from childhood, Fasolada. Fasolada has its origins in Greece as a soup made of beans (and sometimes meat) with a few vegetables, lemon and olive oil. There are many variations of the recipe across Greece and after a little experimentation by Kym (our stock manager and lover of anything beans) we have a recipe that is certifiably blog grade. Don’t be put off by the amount of ingredients as this is actually a very easy soup to make.
Thank you Dean for the inspiration and Kym for your cooking efforts.
You can’t go past this soup for a tummy warmer in winter. With delicious warming spices, creamy sweet potato & carrot and wholesome chickpeas, this is a recipe for the whole family and so simple to make. Enjoy.
Serving Size: Serves 4-6
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large brown onion (chopped)
- 2 garlic cloves (chopped)
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon chilli powder
- 600g orange sweet potato (peeled and diced)
- 500g carrots (peeled and diced)
- 6 cups vegetable or chicken stock (depending on your preference)
- 1/2 cup chickpeas (soaked and cooked) OR 1 x 300g tin organic chickpeas (drained and rinsed)
- 1/2 small lemon rind
- In a large saucepan, saute the onion and garlic in olive oil over medium heat for 6-8 minutes stirring often.
- Add the coriander, cumin and chilli spices and cook for another 1-2 minutes.
- Add the sweet potato and carrot and saute for 5 minutes.
- Add the stock and bring to the boil, then simmer for 20 minutes stirring occasionally.
- Add the cooked chickpeas and simmer for another 10 minutes.
- Blend the soup in batches until smooth, then return to the saucepan on low to medium heat. Stir in the lemon rind and season with salt and pepper (do not boil), then serve piping hot garnished with fresh parsley and coriander.
Know more at: Affordable Wholefoods
This weeks feature recipe has been contributed by Tristen Van De Kley from Balanced Body Nutrition. Thanks Tris, we love sharing your recipes, keep them coming.