We are all big fans of chilli in store and love talking homemade harissa recipes. This Roasted Red Pepper Harissa recipe is a favourite of ours using red peppers from a jar (you can find these in most supermarkets or Italian grocers) though you can also roast your own if you prefer. The flavours of this sauce are absolutely divine and it’s fun to make as well.
This weeks recipe of the week comes to us from Casey-Lee Lyons of Live Love Nourish. A delicious grain, dairy and sugar free morning tea loaf flavoured with orange juice, cooked apple and spices. Enjoy!
The delightful Meg Phillips has been at it again….this time it’s one of her delicious vegan smoothie bowl creations using raw cacao powder and frozen bananas. This is a great summer breakfast or brunch idea to share with friends. Get creative with your choice of fruit & nut or cereal toppings….and watch this space for Meg’s homemade granola recipe coming soon to the blog.
If you’re looking for something a little different to add to the menu, this is an enjoyable recipe that can be used as either a main or side dish…. inspired by a recipe from the Gourmet Traveller Magazine.
It’s two in a row from Affordable Wholefoods Recipe contributor Meg Phillips. This time it’s a delicious and simple granola recipe using mostly organic ingredients (though you can of course tailor to your preference). Making your own if you have the time and motivation is a great way to save money on expensive store bought varieties, and you also get to choose your preferred flavours. Enjoy!
A delicious dinner recipe using our new Organic Kamut Penne Rigate Pasta. The combination of lemon, chives, goats cheese and pine nuts is divine. You will love this recipe. Enjoy!
- 2 cups cooked organic kamut penne pasta
- 20 grams butter
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- 1 medium sweet potato peeled into strips with a potato peeler
- 1 clove of crushed garlic
- 2 teaspoons of lemon rind
- 1 tablespoon of lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons of chopped chives (keep some aside for the garnish)
- 60gram fresh rocket
- 60grams goats cheese
- 1 tablespoon toasted organic pine nuts
- Cook the penne for 12-15 minutes until aldente. Drain and put aside.
- Heat the butter and 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a fry pan, then add the peeled sweet potato and cook for 2 minutes.
- Add the garlic and lemon rind and cook for a further 2 minutes.
- Combine the lemon juice, 3/4’s of the chives and remaining olive oil in a small bowl.
- Add the pasta to the frying pan and toss the ingredients for 1 minute until heated through.
- Remove from heat, add the rocket and chive mixture and combine.
- Season with salt and black pepper to your taste.
- Serve on a plate then top with crumbled goats cheese and a sprinkling of pine nuts and chopped chives. Enjoy!
NOTE: This dish can be served hot, or enjoyed cold as a pasta salad. Whatever your fancy!
Read more about delicious recipe on Affordable Wholefoods Blog
This month we will be sharing a few inspirations for back to school lunches on our blog. The purpose being to offer our readers a selection of healthy lunch options they can refer to on the blog for their kids. This one has come from one of our regular contributors Casey-Lee Lyons of Live Love Nourish who specialises in gluten and dairy free recipes. A simple frittata style healthy muffin recipe that is perfect for the school lunch box. Enjoy.
So we asked one of our local seasoned recipe creators to have a little play with the Organic Canadian Hemp Protein Powder and Organic Hemp Seeds for us and this is what she came up with. Thank you Meg Phillips, another stella recipe from yourself, and 2 in one.
Chocolate Hemp Bliss Balls
Makes approx 12
- In a food processor, process the almonds until a fine powder forms.
- Transfer to a bowl and add the cacao and hemp powder mixing to combine well.
- Add the dates, coconut oil and maple syrup to a blender and blend until smooth.
- Mix with the almond mixture until a dough forms.
- Roll into bliss balls of desired size and roll again in coconut sugar
Vanilla Hemp Seed Bliss Balls
Makes approx 12
- In a food processor, process the cashews, hemp seeds and coconut until a crumb forms
- Transfer to a bowl and set aside.
- Blend the remaining ingredients until smooth then mix with the cashew mix until a dough forms.
- Roll into bliss balls of desired size and roll again in extra hemp seeds
Read more about healthy recipe on Affordable Wholefoods Blog
It can be difficult to find good lunch box snacks for kids that are nut free and in line with our schools allergy policies. Nuts are such a great way to get nutrition into our children, especially whilst they are burning so much energy running around in the playground or learning in the classroom – so we’ve come up with an alternative. A delicious gluten free trail mix recipe that is school friendly. It offers all the nutrition nuts would through the use of sunflower kernels and pepitas, as well as juicy sultanas and tasty toasted coconut flakes. It’s also super easy to make (about 20 minutes in total including baking time). Enjoy!
Wholesome, warming, light and tasty…these are the words used to describe this cake by Recipe creator Sarah Follent.A cake to warm the insides? We’ll just have to try and see!