Vegetables for breakfast anyone? Delicious sweet potato disguised in a sweet, chewy crispy waffle courtesy of the delightful Morag Turnball aka @aveganfeed
- 2 cups/250g sweet potato diced
- 1 ¼ cups organic unbleached self-raising flour
- 1 ¼ cups plant milk (almond, soy, coconut)
- 2 tablespoons raw sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Steam or boil the sweet potato until well cooked, tender and easily mashable, about 10-15 minutes.
- Once cooked, drain potatoes and rinse them under cold tap water to cool them down. Transfer to a bowl and mash or blend potatoes until smooth.
- Add in the remaining ingredients and mix or whisk until well combined. Pour appropriate quantities of batter into your waffle iron and cook until golden brown.
Orange sweet potatoes were used with this recipe, although any sweet potato varieties are ok.
Maple Tahini Sauce
- 1 ½ tablespoon tahini
- 1 ½ teaspoon maple syrup
- Combine tahini and maple syrup in a bowl and mix well.
- Pour over the waffles as you like.
Read more about healthy food on Affordable Wholefoods Blog